Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Aging speakers

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Fitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, I finally succeeded in getting two Altec 416 woofers for my A7 cabinets. They are the green basket type and from the scuffs on them I would say they have seen some significant use over the years. They are both alnico magnet speakers. The accordian surrounds on both speakers are in very good shape but have lost their tacky feel. Otherwise the cones and dust caps are fine.

    My questions: How much of an improvement might I expect from a reconing by Great Plains Audio ?

    Is there any way to refresh the tacky stuff on the accordian surrounds ?

    I know that Alnico magnets loose their strenght over time and the magnetic loss affects the high frequencies. These speakers have good upper range response so I think their magnets are OK.

    Does anyone have any other non destructive criteria by which I can evaluate the magnetic strength of these speakers ?

    Thanks in advance for your help and advice,

  2. #2
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you find that you need to have the amplifier up higher than what you would consider normal to get the sound out, then the magnet might be in need of re-charging. If I am correct in my thinking, a weak magnet would make for reduced sensitivity, requiring more power to get the sound, and possibly burning out the voice coil because of that. I believe the magnet can be re-charged without rebuilding the speaker. I am pretty sure they can put another layer of goo around the outside also without any problems.

    I'd say if they sound fine to your ears and you aren't overdriving them, then that's all that really matters.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Dave, If the speakers just needs the doping & a recharge, thats great, don't recone unless it is absolutly nessisary.
    A speaker with the original cone is far better sounding than a recone, to my ears at least!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    dave, you can send your woofers to GPA for a recharging and redoping of the surround! If the voice cil and cone are ok, there is no need to recone!

    Regaussing the magnet will improve its sound, and will work like new!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member taudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2004
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    Dave,

    I've had a pair of 416's reconed and remaged by Bill at GPA and can report that they sound excellent - clearly superior to my 34 year old original 416's in mid-bass and punch. I'll be sending the originals to GPA quite soon.

    taudo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.